Of course it doesn't take much to convince me that it is time for a big project. Off to Menards, and Home Depot and Lowe's we went. I had this idea that we could buy some of those ready made storage cabinets, plop a desk top down on top and throw a few shelves in the closet.
Needless to say that wasn't about to happen. First, there was the problem of not finding what I had in mind, and second there was the price. That stuff is flippin' expensive! Even the junky stuff that I didn't really want was way out of our price range.
So I continued on down the aisles until I came to some unfinished kitchen cabinets that happened to be on sale, and it also happened that we had used some similar cabinets in another project at another house so we had some experience with working with these. I was crunching numbers and figuring out what we could do on our budget when Mr. RC wandered around the corner and found these
We got them home and Mr. RC inspected the damages and planned how to patch them up. This included rebuilding one of the drawers, patching a big hole in the back of one and fabricating a few missing braces. No biggie. These were kitchen base cabinets so we decided that we would have to cut the bottoms off to get them to the right height for a table top.
Now on to the fun part!
I knew exactly what color I wanted. Teal Zeal. I love this color. I thought about distressing and glazing them but this little 50s house has been leading me back to kitschy retro style so I decided to leave the color bright.
The hardware was about $40. Totally worth it. I love the drawer pulls.
Then after we got the cutting table cabinet in the room I realized that it really needed some cute bun feet to make it more functional and more cute. Mr. RC was miffed that I made him cut off 4 inches and now I wanted to add a 4 inch foot to it. But it really was a functional issue, because I kept running my feet into the bottom of it and it wasn't going to work for a cutting table that way. And then there was the cuteness factor... you know what I mean?
I found these on ebay for $14 + $8 shipping, less than half what they were in the stores, and they got here in 3 days! Don't you love when you find an awesome deal like that!
The table tops were probably the hardest part. We decided to get a melamine finished particle board because it was a nice smooth finish and wouldn't require painting and it was really cheap @ $20 for a 4'X8' sheet. The edges needed to be finished with a white plastic veneer and spray adhesive, which is messy and a lot of work.
While that was getting done I took the opportunity to whip out a can of Krylon Aqua spray paint and pretty up a wicker waste basket from Goodwill and an old coat rack that I use to hang things on.
And here it is! My totally awesome sewing room! Total cost was about $250 and it only took 2 weeks. Not too bad and I got exactly what I was hoping for.
We still have a few more shelves to hang above the cutting table to organize my crafty stuff. Now all it needs is some kitschy red and white ruffled gingham curtains and I am a happy girl! So, I gotta go get busy on some of those stash buster challenges, 'cause I really only managed to get about 1/3 of my stash stashed away in here. But I am sticking to my fabric diet for at least the rest of this year. I swear! NO more stashing. Period.
Linking up for these great parties: