Monday, April 23, 2012

Fairy Gardens: Part II- Life's a Beach

Here is the second of my series of Fairy Gardens. I am so excited about how this one turned out.
 While Mr. Rainbow Creek was crafting this awesome crate for the beach garden I built some miniature beach decor from craft sticks, bamboo skewers and wood scraps. When we went to the nursery for plants we found out that you can buy all kinds of adorable little accessories for your Fairy Garden starting from about $6.99 and up for each little chair and fence. Right. But you don't have to have that kind of budget to have some fun decorating your Fairy Garden. It's all about imagination... and craft sticks and mod podge.
 The fences were made from the sturdy stalks of ornamental grass we pruned a couple weeks ago. I whitewashed them and then dry brushed some gray craft paint over them to give them a weathered look.
 The little pink cottage is a Dollar Tree unpainted birdhouse that we covered with doll house shingles. I forgot to paint the cottage # on the front. I'll have to do that tomorrow. 
 I am still learning about how to lay these out when it comes to placing the plants and the moss. I used the sheet moss around the plantings, but I also put in an Irish moss and a Scotch moss ground cover to add a little bit of a sea grass look to the garden. The large shrub is lavender, it smells wonderful. When you run your fingers over it it releases the most beautiful fragrance. I highly recommend using herbs like rosemary, thyme, sage or lavender in your fairy gardens. They are nicely sized for container planting and the earthy herbal scents are just perfect for attracting fairies I think.
 And of course a pond and lots of shiny glass rocks add a little sparkle to your garden. 
This garden is going to be a gift for my special beach buddy. I know she will love it as much as I loved putting it together. 
Join the Party at:








6 comments:

  1. Darling! Thanks so much for linking up at Jillify It!

    Hope you have a fabulous week!

    Jill
    www.jillifyit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely darling! I'm thinking this is a project my daughter would really enjoy too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love how you created the fence in this one. Very original idea. All of your little gardens are precious. I'm sure your friend will love it!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hοla! I’ve been fοllοwing
    your web site for a long
    time now and finallу gοt thе сouragе to go aheaԁ and
    give уou a ѕhout οut fгom Atascocіtа Texаs!


    Juѕt wanted to say keеp up the fantastiс work!


    Ηеre is my blog ροst :: gardening

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ι’m rеаlly impreѕsed with your writing
    ѕkills as ωell as ωith the layоut on уour weblοg.

    Is this a paid theme or did you customіzе іt yourself?

    Αnyway keep uρ the excellent quality ωгіting, it’s гare to ѕee a grеat blog liκe this one nowadауs.


    Мy ωeb-site: what does going green mean
    - http://210.32.200.14 -

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Just sent it to a friend! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila