Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Challenging My Inner Writer

or some such BS.

I write in my head all day, for as long as I can remember. But as soon as I put a keyboard in front of my face it all goes POOF! Gone. Now what was it that I had to pontificate on and on in my brain about?

So when I am actually forced to write something other than a grocery list (which I will forget to take to the store anyway) I guess I can come through with some appropriate and understandable language. Which is to say that I can bang out a pretty decent ebay listing without too much trouble now. Everything else is a start and stop effort. I use the backspace key so much I am surprised it hasn't worn out.

I am wondering if technical writing really counts as writing. 'Cause I decided a while back that patterns seem to be pretty profitable and on a whim I listed a pattern for sale for 12 quick and easy rag quilt projects. This seems like a great idea for the holidays because people love handmade gifts and with the economy tanking people are looking for cheap gifts to make. I figured if anyone buys it I would just whip it up and send it out. I originally listed it on craig's list and got one buyer who never paid. Of course. CL is just loaded with beggars who never want to pay for anything but will drive you nuts with emails and phone calls asking 101 questions and hoping that you will get sick of hearing from them and just give them the damn widget to get them to stop calling. Which has actually happened to me. But that wasn't really my point.

My point is that now I have to write the instructions for this pattern and it turns out that it is really harder than I pictured it in my head. I thought I had the wording all right there on the tip of my fingertips when I was writing this pattern in my head. And now that I have the keyboard in front of me, where did the words go? Well I am off to look for them. Will let you know how the pattern sells. I think it will be a blockbuster!

1 comment:

  1. Doni- it can be very challenging. I have to get in the right mindset to write pattern instructions. It will get easier. I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila